Five Questions with… Kyle Day
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Kyle is a Quad Cities native who comes to Lane & Waterman from one of the “Big Four” Accounting Firms, bringing with him a wealth of accounting knowledge and a passion for taxes, and family.
- What made you want to become a lawyer? In short, witnessing the “tax tail” wag the dog. Often the tax consequences of business activities have an enormous effect on my clients’ decision-making. As a result, as a CPA it was important to me to be able to understand the tax law to effectively advise my clients. That is what led me to law school, and motivated me to return for my Masters in Law (LL.M.) in Taxation.
- Why have you chosen to focus on tax law? To quote Professor James D. Gordon III, “[a] tax lawyer is a person who is good with numbers but who does not have enough personality to be an accountant.” Aside from that, I love the complexity, evolving nature and far-reaching impact of tax law. Tax law has proven to be the perfect compliment of my CPA and legal training.
- How do you get your news? I get my tax news daily from TaxNotes and the TaxProf Blog, business and legal news from a couple RSS feeds, and all things pop culture from my dinner table.
- What do you do for fun? I try to run a few time each week, and typically have two or three books open at any given time. But most of all, I enjoy spending time with my wife Lyndsey, and kids, Tatianna (11), Jack (7), Maggie (3) and Lyla (5 months).
- What is your proudest moment? Most recently, Lyndsey and I traveled internationally with our children, including our then 4-week old daughter. I’ve traveled through ORD professionally countless times. Yet, I will admit as I took my seat on the plane that morning, after navigating through check-in, security and boarding without losing a single child, the stress and anxiety of traveling with kids quickly turned to pride for a job well done.
Kyle practices in our Corporate & Transactional Law group where he helps clients with tax planning, compliance, mergers and acquisitions, entity formation and governance, and general business matters. Learn more at https://l-wlaw.com/attorneys/kyle-r-day/.