Meet Mikkie, a small-town Iowa native who enjoys sports, Toy Story, and Constitutional Law.
- What made you want to become a lawyer? I always had it in the back of my mind. During my sophomore year in college, I took a Constitutional Law class and loved it. I knew then law school was for me.
- What do you do for fun? Outside of work, I spend most of my time with my kids. They are very involved in sports so I spend a lot of time at football, basketball, volleyball, and baseball games. I am ready for spring and can’t wait to get outside to a baseball tournament. I also love to read. Lately my time has been spent helping to take care of my husband’s new pride and joy, his new puppy.
- What do you think sets Lane & Waterman apart in terms of how we deliver value to clients? Lane & Waterman is a great law firm. We have clients who are Fortune 500 business and very small businesses. We pride ourselves on providing high quality work for all of our clients. We are situated in a unique geographical location, which exposes us to Illinois and Iowa law on a frequent basis, along with differences in the federal systems. The congenial atmosphere and relationship among our attorneys provide an environment of cooperation and efficiency, which allows Lane & Waterman attorneys to excel and focus on areas of practice in which they excel, thereby benefiting all of our clients.
- Where did you grow up? I grew up in a very small town in Northwest Iowa, called Swea City (about 700 people at the time). We had no stoplights, and actually had to drive about 25-30 miles to see a stoplight or a McDonalds. It was a great place to grow up. We rode bikes, played with friends, and went swimming at the local pool every day. The town whistles (at noon, 1:00, and 6:00) told us when to be home for lunch or dinner. I went to a very small school but had wonderful opportunities and great teachers.
- What is your favorite movie? This is a hard one. I love all kinds of movies (serious, action, drama). Some of my favorites of all time are: Toy Story, Shawshank Redemption, Dirty Dancing, and ET. I also love natural disaster action or science fiction movies, like Independence Day or White House Down.
Mikkie practices in our Employment Law group with a focus on education. Learn more about her work at https://l-wlaw.com/attorneys/mikkie-r-schiltz/.